Inspired by raw power and performance, Revstar’s sound is as unique and bold as its aesthetic. Working to evoke a visceral, unbridled power and an individual, organic tone that is made possible only by considering every detail, Yamaha’s engineers chose materials carefully and designed custom pickups to make sure Revstar sounds as stunning as it looks.
Designed from the ground up, Revstar features specially wound YGD pickups that are perfectly matched to each guitar. More than 50 prototype pickups were tested featuring different combinations of wire, windings, magnets and base plates. Eventually, a spec was settled on for each guitar model and the Revstar pickup series was born.
VP5 : RS502 / 502T
Alnico V magnet, German silver baseplate and plain enamel wire for clear, vintage tone with bite. [8.3k DCR]
Designed especially for Revstar, Yamaha’s proprietary Dry Switch gives you the versatility of a coil split, but with a tone that’s miles ahead.Using a passive filter circuit painstakingly designed to give the perfect frequency response, the Dry Switch filters out low frequencies to give the punch and clarity of a single coil pickup minus the inevitable hum and hollow tone often associated with split humbucking pickups.And because it’s a filter circuit, the Dry Switch works on both humbuckers and P90s for a totally unique, usable tone.
Inspired by the stripped-down custom Café Racer motorbikes popularized on the streets of London in the 1960s, Revstar’s hardware captures the high-performance, individual character of those bikes with a wide range of totally unique, customized hardware. From the unique pickup covers and raw copper scratchplate on the Revstar Professional, to the totally custom floating aluminum tailpiece on the RS502T, each and every component is perfectly calibrated for great performance and unmistakable style—capturing the very essence of a Café Racer.
Comfort Contoured Body
Revstar is a workhorse through and through, but that doesn’t mean there has been any compromise on comfort and playability. With every contour designed from the ground up to look and feel great, Revstar’s body features a deep belly cut, hidden forearm contour and a newly designed neck joint for outstanding upper fret access. This is a guitar made to be played all night.
- Construction: Set-in
- Scale Length: 24-3/4” (628.6mm)
- Body Materials: Maple / Mahogany
- Body Finish: Gloss Polyurethane
- Neck Materials: Mahogany 3-Piece
- Neck Finish: Gloss Polyurethane
- Fingerboard Materials: Rosewood
- Fingerboard Radius: 13-3/4” (350mm)
- Fret Wire: Medium
- Number of Frets: 22
- Nut Materials: Urea
- Neck Width @ 0 Fret / 12th Fret: 43.0 / 52.5 mm
- Thickness @1st Fret / 12th Fret: 21.1 / 25.2 mm
- Neck Pickup: VP5n: P-90 Type Single Coil /Alnico V
- Bridge Pickup: VP5b: P-90 Type Single Coil /Alnico V
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone (Push-Pull "Dry Switch")
- Pickup Switch: 3-Position Lever Switch
- Bridge: Tune-O-Matic
- String spacing: 10.5mm
- Tailpiece: Original Aluminum Tailpiece
- Tuning Machines: Die-Cast
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Cream
- String gauge: Elixir Electric Nickel Plated Steel with Nanoweb Coating / 0.010-0.046
- Case: Gig Bag